As the Government of Saskatchewan’s innovation agency, the Innovation Saskatchewan Amendment Act 2022, tasks the agency with the following mandate:
- To facilitate the coordination and strategic direction of the Government of Saskatchewan’s support for research and development (R&D), science, and technology with the objective of fostering the development of new ideas, products, and processes to ensure the long-term sustainable growth of Saskatchewan’s economy.
- To provide advice and guidance to the Government of Saskatchewan in respect to science and technology policy; and to establish, measure, monitor, and report on the Government of Saskatchewan’s strategies and goals for advancing innovation in the province.
- To coordinate and support the establishment and maintenance of R&D and science infrastructure in Saskatchewan.
- To provide recommendations to the Government of Saskatchewan respecting research, development, demonstration, and the commercialization of new technologies and innovative processes in Saskatchewan; as well as to advise on policies that may better coordinate, support, foster, promote, and facilitate R&D and the commercialization of technologies.
- To create, encourage and facilitate business opportunities in the Saskatchewan technology sector, through the development and operation of research and technology parks.
- To undertake any program or activity for the purposes of achieving the objectives described above, on the request of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
- To undertake any other prescribed programs and activities.