Disclaimer: Applicants applying to both the Agtech Growth Fund (AGF) and the Saskatchewan Technology Start-up Incentive (STSI) are limited to a lifetime cap of $450,000 combined between the two programs.
The Agtech Growth Fund (AGF) is a research and development (R&D) funding program designed to accelerate the commercialization of game-changing technological innovations in the province’s agricultural sector.
Through AGF, Innovation Saskatchewan (IS) provides non-repayable grants to projects that address a specific industry challenge. To apply, please refer to the “Program Guidelines” downloadable below.
Areas of Focus
AGF will accept applications for R&D projects related to the following areas:
- Digital Ag Software/Hardware (e.g., sensors, imagery, precision ag, data stewardship)
- Smart Farm Equipment (e.g., robotics, machinery, automation)
- Food Processing (enabling technologies)
- Indoor Agriculture (enabling technologies)
- Animal Health/Verification Technology
- Supply Chain Technology (e.g., traceability)
- Agricultural Marketplace/Fintech
All applications must meet the following criteria to be considered for funding:
- Proposed by a group of active private sector partners that represent the project’s value chain (researchers, those involved in the production/supply process, and customer/end users).
- Active partner: participating in the project either through cash and/or in-kind contribution, equity investment, and/or letter of intent to purchase.
- Majority of the R&D activities must be conducted by Saskatchewan-based partners.
- Priority is given to proposals that also have an academic partner from a Saskatchewan post-secondary or research institute.
- Demonstrate how the technological innovation will solve a specific industry-wide challenge and benefit the agriculture sector as a whole, not just individual companies.
- Technological solutions must be novel and innovative.
- Demonstrate a feasible path to commercialization and how the benefits of the project will be sustained over the long-term.
- Industry partners must provide 50% or more of the project’s budget. The amount requested from IS is no more than 30% of the proposed budget.
Intakes for the AGF are held twice per fiscal year. To be considered for funding, prospective applicants must submit an EOI and complete the “Eligibility Questionnaire” before the intake deadline. Only selected applicants will be invited to submit full proposals. Shortlist decisions made by IS’ internal selection committee are final.
In years where applicants exceed the available funding, only proposals determined to be most strategically aligned with the province’s R&D priorities will be invited to submit full proposals. The number of grants approved per year will be based on budget availability.
Below are important dates for each intake periods:
|Intake Period 1:|
|April 30||Deadline for EOIs|
|May 31||All invites for full proposals sent|
|July 31||Deadline for full proposals|
|September 30||Funding decisions made|
|Intake Period 2:|
|September 30||Deadline for EOIs|
|October 31||All invites for full proposals sent|
|December 31||Deadline for full proposals|
|February 28||Funding decisions made|
Please Be Aware:
IS will provide feedback to any applicants that submit a draft of their proposal before the submission deadline. All applicants submitting a full proposal are strongly advised to take advantage of this opportunity
For more information, please contact Kevin Chung at firstname.lastname@example.org.