The Saskatchewan Advantage Innovation Fund (SAIF), is a research and development funding program managed by Innovation Saskatchewan (IS). It is intended to support and accelerate commercialization of technological innovations in the province’s core economic sectors.
Through SAIF, IS provides non-repayable grants of up to $500,000 for approved projects proposed by a group of companies. To apply, please refer to the “Program Guidelines” downloadable below.
Projects developing technologies relevant to the following sectors are eligible for funding:
All applications must meet the following criteria to be considered for funding:
- Proposed by a group of active private sector partners.
- Active partner: participating in the project either through cash and/or in-kind contribution, equity investment, and/or letters of intent to purchase.
- The lead proponent must be a private entity based in Saskatchewan.
- Priority is given to proposals that also have an academic partner from a Saskatchewan university, polytechnic or research institute.
- Demonstrate how the technological innovation will benefit the sector, not just individual companies.
- Development of novel and innovative solutions.
- Demonstrate a feasible path to commercialization, benefits expected, and how those impacts will be sustained in the long-term.
- Industry partners providing half or more of the proposed project’s budget.
Intakes for SAIF are held twice per fiscal year. Prospective applicants are to submit an expression of interest (EOI) before the deadline to be considered for funding in that period. Only selected applicants will be invited to submit full proposals.
In years where applicants exceed available funding, only proposals determined to be most strategically aligned with the province’s R&D priorities will be invited to submit full proposals. The number of grants approved per year will be based on budget availability.
Below are important dates for each intake periods:
Intake Period 1:
April 30 – Deadline for EOIs
May 31 – All invites for full proposals sent
July 31 – Deadline for full proposals
September 30 – Funding decisions made
Intake Period 2:
August 31 – Deadline for EOIs
September 28 – All invites for full proposals sent
November 30 – Deadline for full proposals
January 31 – Funding decisions made
For more information, please contact Kevin Chung at firstname.lastname@example.org or view Program Documents: